Friday, January 23, 2009

FOR THE LOVE OF SPORTS!


Last night I played volleyball, it was the second time I played again, and it’s been 5 years since the last time I played. Last week was the first; even with my 5 years missing on the court I can say that I wasn’t bad after all! I was still able to spike, bump and dig the ball, but just couldn’t get my serve right not even my underhand serve. Last night I feel so good with my game, it was a different story; my overhand serves went through and scored some points.

Volleyball is my “first love” I learned to play volleyball since I was 10yrs. Old. I remembered playing in our province, in the middle of a rocky road with only our slippers :) and when there’s a car or any vehicle we have to recess the game so that they can go through (good memories of my childhood). Back in Philippines I played varsity volleyball for my high school team. When I moved to Washington U.S., I have to retake high school for one more year, which I didn’t mind; because it would be a new experience attending a foreign high school. I tried out for their varsity volleyball team and not bad, I got in! Playing high school volleyball was another new experience, I guess at first I got intimidated by their heights, but it didn’t let me ruin by game, although my coach did not put me up front row to spike the ball (since I’m short, that’s probably the reason! hahahaha), I was on the back bumping and digging just to keep the game!

During college, I got really busy with my schedule; work full-time during the day and attending school at night. Playing varsity volleyball was not on my list anymore, but during the school intramural tournament I got invited to play and our team won the championship, our team got sent to play with other college team. Although we didn’t win all the way, I was glad that I got to play even if it just during the intramurals.

Some nights when I don’t have class, I played sand volleyball with my friends including my husband and also joined the Sand Volleyball Tournament; we didn’t win the championship, but we got in on the semi-final which we won t-shirts. Not bad!

I’ve always loved playing volleyball, the reasons it stops because of hurricane Katrina, I got pregnant and we moved to a different state away from some of my teammates. I really missed playing volleyball but in the absent of my volleyball career, I learned to play tennis, learned to love the game and learned that volleyball and tennis have the same concept, and that is just to make sure the ball is in!

For the love of sports!

Volleyball lovers:
Whoever has the guts to take a hard spike, and play competitive volleyball, come join us every Thursday, 7:30pm at St Francis Catholic Church. Oh by the way it's a $1 per person from 7:30pm-10:30pm.

Tennis lovers:
We play MWF from 6:30pm – 10:00pm at Sugar Land Recreation park Located in 225 Seventh Street, Sugar Land, TX 77478) at Wood and 7th Streets it’s by St. Theresa Catholic church.

See you there!

2 comments:

  1. I love volleyball too cris... I used to play for our school as a varsity and our barangay since we had those tournament between barangays. But now I guess it's hard for me to do it again cos I can't find time for it. Just so busy,, huhuhuhu. I wish I coould play with you but....can't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh! how I wish! we should have a PPM team! lol! bitaw oi! I'm planning sa summer we'll have PPM SUMMER FAMILY AFFAIR! my nakita na akong please and it's free! so planohon nalang nato!

    ReplyDelete

Proud Pinay Mommies

Subscribe to proudpnaymomies

Powered by us.groups.yahoo.com