Friday, January 30, 2009

CRAVINGS - "kinilaw na isda"

For the past few days, I’ve been craving to make and eat “kinilaw na isda” (raw fish salad) so yesterday morning the girls and I, along with Ate Susan took a trip to Viet Hoa a Vietnamese Supermarket, to buy fresh fish and the rest of the ingredients for the “kinilaw”.













Here are the ingredients we used:
2 ½ lbs Tanigue (I don’t know actually the English name of this fish, but my understanding calls for King Fish)
1 bottle coconut vinegar
3 Lemons squeezed
1 red onion chopped
4 stalks of green onions chopped
5 gloves of garlic minced
3 medium size cucumbers sliced
1 large radish sliced

Here’s the preparation:
We cut the fish into cubes (bite size), washed with water then marinated fish in coconut vinegar and chilled for at least an hour, drained then we combined all the ingredients and squeezed the lemons, seasoned it with salt and pepper and we mixed it!

Tarannnn! Our first KINILAW FISH EVER and believe me it was good, good enough to satisfy my cravings! Making our first “kinilaw” is simple, but it just takes more preparation time cutting all those ingredients.














I always associate the “kinilaw” with a beach outing, but since it was cold yesterday the only perfect place that I can think of and enjoy my “kinilaw” is at the comfort of my dinning table imagining the beach site!

What is "Kinilaw"
"The kinilaw moment is that instant when the raw fish meets the vinegar or other souring agent, and transformation begins from the raw state. The fish is cooked using vinegar as the meat turns opaque in color."

Though “kinilaw” may not be as popular as adobo, it certainly has a one-of-a-kind taste that many Pinoys, just like me who lives far from Philippines crave for.

Just looking at the photos makes me want to eat more “kinilaw na isda”, but it’s all gone! I ate it all for my lunch and dinner, nothing left for the next day, but personally I don’t think” kinilaw” is good on the second day!

My cravings ends with my late snack last night the Mango with bagoong (shrimp paste), lucky I found green mangoes at the market, so to complete all my cravings I bought mangoes too!

Ohh..... a bowl of sliced green mango served with good bagoong. I could feel the crunch of the unripe mango, the slightly astringent, incredibly sour shock to the taste buds, soon mitigated by the gentle squish of tiny shrimp shells that burst with a salty, bagoong flavor.

WOW!!! I just can’t believe that I ate all of this on my own last night!

And if you are staring at your monitors salivating… all I can say is, SORRY I will share it with you NEXT TIME!


THANK GOD IT'S FRIDAY!

6 comments:

  1. Cris, nag laway na noon ko sa Kinilaw. Last ko naka kaon ana ato pang naa ko sa Pinas. hahayz!! Cris, share sa sunod ha. hehehe!! Gutom na noon ko dah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol! Cel, sus! first time nakong himo Cel, not bad gyud! lami sya my goodness gyud! Pohon sa summer gathering ng PPM mao na akong dalaon! see you sa sabado! ako man gani, mag siga pa ug mag laway kung huna-hunaon lang na ko! hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahaha nag drolling na noan si cecil.. hehehe ako cris ai naglaway sab pero pug ngan saon man nag pa didi.. hehehe next time mag kinilaw party ta ,, hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan, I like that idea of a kinilaw party, tapos mag pretend lang gud na naa ta sa beach! with matching inihaw na baboy! my goodness! gutom na pud ko!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cris, one question, buntis ka? hahahaha.. kinilaw plus mangoes hmmm.. mao man na ako cravings. My gosh kinilaw it's my favorite! Next time maghimo ka, i-mail daun sa amo ang uban.
    yeah i like that kinilaw party idea.. sa pool nilang Katrina pag mapalit na nila ang new house.. hehe buot-buot! sugba sad tag isda. my gosh na excited na nuon ko! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. buyag ka Zim! sorry hindi ako sasabay sa'yo! bitaw no? we can do a pool parte ila Kat, tapos with sugba isda ug karne, tapos kinilaw! tulo na gyud akong laway! sige ugma kita-kita nalang!

    ReplyDelete

Proud Pinay Mommies

Subscribe to proudpnaymomies

Powered by us.groups.yahoo.com